Tuesday, November 10, 2009

ROBOT KOCH—(BERLIN, GERMANY)—


The Berliner behind The Tape and Jahcoozi releases his gothic galactic debut, Death Star Droid



Berlin’s Robot Koch has been a cornerstone of the city’s pulsating electronic scene for almost a decade now, but has always been one of those quiet producers, bubbling under the cut. Whether as part of the post rock outfit The Tape, the club wailing, bass banging Jahcoozi project, or even his collaboration with Celebral Vortex, one of the best new club rappers about, Robot Koch has been conducting a gothic galactic aesthetic of ten ton beats and space age melodies. Now with his widely diverse debut solo album Death Star Droid, out this month on this own label Robot’s Don’t Sleep, folks like Modeselektor and Flying Lotus are the first to lay praise.

WHATS…
...so special about you, then?
Other people tell me that I'm a pretty versatile producer. I can do dubstep and heavy hitting stuff as well as melodic, melancholic and subliminal stuff. From film music to jazz and heavy metal. I guess it’s because I listen to a lot of different music and draw inspirations from all ends of the musical spectrum.

...your worst vice?
The bloody internet. I get a cold turkey when I don’t go online for a couple of days.

...the best piece of advice you've heard?
Don’t worry about it. Just do what you do. And do it good. - Bill Withers.

...better, dusk or dawn?
Dusk, I love being awake when everybody else is still sleeping.

…your favourite hidden spot in Berlin?
An Indian restaurant close to my studio. Completely underrated, although it was the first Indian restaurant ever in Berlin. It’s been there since the 80’s. I’m not going to tell the name of it because I like the fact that it’s not discovered by any tourist guides yet. I go there at least three times a week.

...your favourite piece of clothing?
My Suicidal Tendencies t-shirt.

...the world coming to?
It keeps changing and that is good. Open end. I like.

...the name of your hero?
Graciela Alatorre.

...so special about your hero?
Everything!

...your worst fashion secret?
 My X-Men underwear.

...this year going to bring?
I’m excited about the new Jahcoozi album, I’m going to tour a lot and work on new interesting projects. I just got back from Kenya, where i worked with some MCs and singers from Nairobi and Mombasa, mad talent out there. There will be more collabos with African artists next year. There will  be some new hot releases on Robots Don’t Sleep in 2010, so keep your eyes peeled for that.

...your favourite website?
I’m quite enjoying Twitter at the moment, although it’s a complete waste of time. Soundcloud.com is a good and useful site.

How would you describe your work?
It’s like painting. If I was a painter I’d do crazy collages using watercolors, spray paint and wood, found stuff and old photos as well as high tech materials. It’s like that, only I use sounds.

Robot Koch’s Death Star Droid is out on Robot’s Don’t Sleep on 17th November




THANK YOU DAZED.DIGITAL  for the story and the pic! ALSO.. check out the link above for an EXCLUSIVE CLIP!! loves it! xo xo :el fano:

No comments: