Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Andy Masters Midnight Match

Midnight Roddick

Thank you andyroddick.com for the story and the photo[s]!

"Andy soared into the second round of the US Open with a 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 victory of Bjorn Phau Monday Night.
A late start on Arthur Ashe stadium, Andy took the court at 11:00 pm to an overwhelming welcome from the New York Crowd. As the traditional “Welcome to the Jungle” walk on music faded, Andy looked confident, calm and more than ready to start the night. He quickly got to business holding at 40-15, but Phau chased down several balls showing that he is indeed one of the quickest players on tour. Andy displayed his peak level of fitness as he kept up with the quick Phau and converted his first break when the German hit a forehand into the net for 2-0. Within 7 minutes, Andy powered to a 3-0 lead. Phau found his footing but not in time to derail Andy’s momentum. The Number one American broke again at 4-1 and blitzed an 140mph serve en route to serving out the set at 6-1.
Phau started the second set on his serve and held for 1-0. Phau earned his two break point opportunities at 2-1 by putting pressure on Andy’s backhand. Following a long backhand rally, Phau hit a forehand down the line to earn the break for the 3-1 lead. Andy countered on Phau’s service game, approaching the net to earn a break point opportunity. As the clock struck midnight in New York, Andy earned the break putting the second set back on serve. In an unusual turn of events, both players into the second set had drawn blood in the match. Phau suffered a fall and skinned his knee while Andy’s ear was bleeding.
While neither competitor was unsettled by their injuries, the chair umpire was forced to deal with the rules that ball kids are not allowed to touch a towel that contains blood. Once new towels were brought out, play continued. At 3-3, Andy earned two breakpoints. Phau saved the first with a drop shot volley but Andy chased down a forehand and fired a nearly perfect down the line passing shot to take the break 4-3. The pair traded holds and after nearly an hour and fifteen minutes of play, Andy served out the second set 5-3.
Andy immediately placed pressure on Phau in the third earning two break points in the German’s first service game. He approached the net and forced the error to take the break and the 1-0 lead. With an 81% first serve percentage, Andy crusied to 2-0. Phau was able to get on the board at 1-2, but once again Andy held on to the momentum and with his 11th ace held for 3-1. A brilliant forehand passing shot earned Andy another break for 4-1. With a fist pump and a quick gate, he jogged to the player chair with the end in sight. With the support of the crowd that had stayed well into the night, Andy held for 5-1. Hoping to get off the court before 1:00 am, Andy never let up. Phau continued to battle and served his way to 2-5, but even the quicksteps of the German would not be enough to push the match any further. With a 150 mile per hour serve, Andy sealed his first match of the US Open."

YAY! I can't wait! I am excited that I will be able to get to see the semi-final[s] with a co-worker [just before fashion week] I hope [and I am SURE] Andy will make it that far! [he better!!!] xo xo :el fano: